About 100 developers from all over the world gathered in Berlin to participate in THack – one of the most prestigious hackathons organized in the travel technology space. The event, organized by Tnooz, took place at the betahaus co-working space over the weekend of 4-6 March and was supported by HomeAway, Skyscanner and Xapix.io.
Participants were asked to develop solutions to these four travel challenges:
- Mobile-first group communication
- Mobile-first tools for in-airport and in-plane contexts
- User experience for a mobile-first travel tool that includes consumer-grade innovations and fun
- Personalized social travel
It took less than 24 hours for the DataArt team to create a super streamlined team travel management tool – tripto.it. The system is designed to help travel managers who work with large distributed teams to save time and energy while gathering information on the colleagues’ travel preferences. The workflow is as following:
- Travel manager sends a calendar invite that includes a special travel bot to all the participants of the trip. This prompts another email with a customized link for each team member.
- The system generates best flight and accommodation options based on the scoring system. The flight options take into account already known hometowns of the employees.
- Each team member votes independently for the preferred flight and accommodation options and submits them to the system.
- When the answers are gathered, travel manager reviews the details. If the chosen options are within corporate budget, travel manager gives his/her approval and starts the booking process.
- All the team members receive mobile push notifications that their trip details are finalized.
DataArt also developed a special mobile app for the travelers. It serves as a personal assistant that shows user’s destination and accommodation details as well as information about the colleagues’ itineraries. The bonus feature of the application is downloading and caching the data about all the events happening nearby on the scheduled dates, so it is possible for a user to review them off-line and choose a few to visit in their free time.
- Eventseeker/WCities (for local events)
- Google Maps API
The demo presentation was well received by the audience. All the judges were impressed by the business value of the proposed concept and technological maturity of the project, and after consideration, chose DataArt as the winner of the large team prize. Moreover, event sponsor HomeAway gave DataArt the first prize for the best use of their API.